There are a few items that you will need for proper External Hard Drive Care: Small Fan, Optical Cloth, Canned Air, and a Surge Protector.
- Make sure your External drive is on a flat, stable, clean surface.
- Try to keep your External Drive away from heaters, air conditioners, humidifiers and drafts.
- When your External Drive is in use try to avoid moving it. Moving it while in use can result in physical damage.
- If you drive is getting really hot you can plug a small fan by it to keep it cool.
- Dust your External Drive every so often with a soft optical cloth, and spray the opening of the drive with canned air to remove any dust build up.
- Instead of plugging your External Drive into a direct outlet use a surge protector. This can help protect the drive against voltage spikes.